Game Pieces – GP11
Either I am a very slow starter or a very patient person… It was a little over two months ago I posted about my plan to re-start my Game Pieces project. I know a portion of the delay was my search for the next pieces I wanted to photograph. I started with a shopping list:
- Paddle Ball
- Sliding Tile Puzzle
- Pick-Up Sticks
- Barrel of Monkeys
- Chinese Checkers
- Rubik’s Cube
- Rock ’em Sock’em Robots
- Magic Eightball
- Space Shot Gravity Ball
- Game of Life
- Connect Four
At first I was planning on picking up new games at the store, creating my photograph, and then giving the games to charity. I picked up a Yahtzee game and a Barrel of Monkeys before the Christmas season hit me and my efforts turned toward the Toys for Tots campaign.
Then I went to a consignment shop. Everything changed. My first find was a 1954 version of Monopoly. Next I picked up a 1949 version of Cootie. I was hooked. I know I will not be able to find older versions of everything on my list but the hunt is half the fun. Remember, it is the journey, not the destination…
I have not decided how best to display my treasured finds so I thought I would warm up with the Barrel of Monkeys. I’m still debating if a subtle approach would be better, i.e., maybe only a monkey or two, no barrel, etc. For now, I went with a full on assault for this version. Maybe there will be a different decision down the road…
Barrel of Monkeys
Olympus OM-D E-M1, M. Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8, 1/30s, 24mm, f/11, ISO 200
Game Pieces – GP10
A couple of weeks ago I started thinking about a winter project or projects to keep me occupied creatively with my photography during the coming winter months. I still have high hopes I will be able to get outside often as I do enjoy photographing winter scenes. But, I know that I need something to prevent me from plopping my butt down in front of the TV… 🙂
I really enjoyed my Game Pieces Project which I began back in February of 2014. As you can probably tell from the number associated with this post I managed to create at least 9 images in that series. I want to revive that project. So, I sat down and created quite a long list of additional subjects. I focused on a lot of the old games from my childhood. I’m thinking I’ll be able to find a good portion of them somewhere. I do know I am not planning on keeping them so one of the local charities is going to be happy with me doing this project again.
I took another look at the images I created originally and although they are some of my favorite monochromes, I reworked a few for something else I wanted to do for a friend at work. Anyway, the originals had an interesting border but when I mount the pictures in a frame most, if not all, of that border is obscured by the matting. One of the tweaks was to remove that border. I’m not positive how I feel about that as I look at these new images on the screen, but I know it will make creating a framed image a lot easier. I also tried to improve the look of all the images with a more consistent tone.
I think, in reality, this post is a small warning! Alert! More of these game pieces are on the way…
Game Pieces – GP9
I am starting to run out of old game pieces to photograph but I thought maybe I could expand this project a little to include some toys. I worked the processing the same as the game pieces but I thought these blocks needed a little color so I added back in about 25% of the color.
Nikon D5100, Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6, 1s, 150mm, f/5.6, ISO 100