Oil Can Project – OCP03


MLCreations Photography: Oil Can Project &emdash; Minneapolis

Olympus OM-S E-M1, M. Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8, 1/13s, 21mm, f/8, ISO 400


Harambe in B&W

WDW in B&W – WBW16
Harambe, Africa, Animal Kingdom, Walt Disney World

There is an elegance to a black & white photo that trumps the color version in certain situations. I especially like processing mid-day images at Walt Disney World in black & white. Although normally photographers shy away from the direct light of the overhead sun I find the shadows it creates can add to the visual impact of the scene. Today I turn to the village of Harambe in the Africa area of the Animal Kingdom.

My normal B&W processing is done with Topaz Labs B&W plugin but it has been giving my fits lately. I believe it is related to the latest Windows update but I have not spent the time to dig into the issue. I turned to On1 Effects to process these images and the toning is a little different than I have been using. I am undecided if I need to tweak these to bring them inline with what I have been normally doing. At the moment I like them, we’ll see how the wear on me as they age… LOL.


MLCreations Photography: WDW in B&W &emdash; Harambe Port

Harambe Port
Olympus OM-D E-M1, M. Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, 1/250s, f/16, ISO 200


MLCreations Photography: WDW in B&W &emdash; Hotel Burudika

Hotel Burudika
Olympus OM-D E-M1, M. Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, 1/200s, f/16, ISO 200


MLCreations Photography: WDW in B&W &emdash; Harambe Market

Harambe Market
Olympus OM-D E-M1, M. Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, 1/160s, f/16, ISO 200

Oil Can Project

Oil Can Project

Last weekend I went to an art show for a local wildlife photographer. I bought a few of her prints last year and was hoping to add to my collection. It was a success. I grabbed a couple more of her owl pictures and they help diverse my living room (it is a little over-run with my pictures)… LOL!

After the show I stopped at a consignment shop across the street. I was looking for a few knick-knacks to photograph. I wanted to play with my new light studio and flashes. I think it back fired on me. I came away with an idea for a project… old oil cans. I bought three on Saturday and ended up going to another shop on Sunday which produced an additional three cans for my collection.

I’m still trying to figure out the best lighting, post-processing, display, etc., but I wanted to share the results of the first few attempts. Right now I’m leaning toward black & white versions but that may change as I progress. I’m looking at this as a learning process (and boy do I have a lot to learn). Stay tuned for more pictures…


MLCreations Photography: Oil Can Project &emdash; Goose Neck

Goose Neck
Olympus OM-D E-M1, M. Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8, 1/160s, 14mm, f/4, ISO 200


MLCreations Photography: Oil Can Project &emdash; Stout

Olympus OM-D E-M1, M. Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8, 1/60s, 12mm, f/4, ISO 200


MLCreations Photography: Oil Can Project &emdash; Handle

Olympus OM-D E-M1, M. Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8, 1/60s, 15mm, f/5.6, ISO 200

Games Pieces Project

Game Pieces – GP10

A couple of weeks ago I started thinking about a winter project or projects to keep me occupied creatively with my photography during the coming winter months. I still have high hopes I will be able to get outside often as I do enjoy photographing winter scenes. But, I know that I need something to prevent me from plopping my butt down in front of the TV… 🙂

I really enjoyed my Game Pieces Project which I began back in February of 2014. As you can probably tell from the number associated with this post I managed to create at least 9 images in that series. I want to revive that project. So, I sat down and created quite a long list of additional subjects. I focused on a lot of the old games from my childhood. I’m thinking I’ll be able to find a good portion of them somewhere. I do know I am not planning on keeping them so one of the local charities is going to be happy with me doing this project again.

I took another look at the images I created originally and although they are some of my favorite monochromes, I reworked a few for something else I wanted to do for a friend at work. Anyway, the originals had an interesting border but when I mount the pictures in a frame most, if not all, of that border is obscured by the matting. One of the tweaks was to remove that border. I’m not positive how I feel about that as I look at these new images on the screen, but I know it will make creating a framed image a lot easier. I also tried to improve the look of all the images with a more consistent tone.

I think, in reality, this post is a small warning! Alert! More of these game pieces are on the way…



MLCreations Photography: Blog Post Related &emdash; Checkmate-2

Checkmate II
Original Version